Hurricane season is right around the corner, officially starting June 1st and lasting through November 30th, now is the time to safeguard your home against the, sometimes, unruly Mother Nature. Get prepared with our active hurricane checklist!
- Be in the know. Download an app such as The Red Cross Hurricane App, which notifies others of your location should you need help.
- Check your shutters. It is critical that you use sturdy, engineered hurricane shutters or, if absolutely needed, board up all windows with 5/8-inch plywood.
- Locate all hardware and first-aid materials and put them in safe area, protected from the storm and near where you and your family will be.
- Have a three-day supply of both food and water per person. Make sure food items are not quickly perishable; if you do not have water bottles, fill a bathtub up with water.
- Have a plan! It’s imperative that should a storm occur, that your entire family is aware of what to do and where to go. Additionally, you should always have a backup plan, with alternate routes— lives may depend on this.
- Locate your nearest shelter and find out if pets are also welcome.
When disaster hits, it may be too late. Plan ahead with a checklist and also secure your home and your loved ones inside with the help of Long Island Weather Protection. With various, reputable products, LIWP has been protecting families for years. Contact us today to learn more and receive both a complimentary estimate and plan assistance.